Thursday, July 28, 2011

GOD is my helper?!

I read Psalm 121 yesterday morning & again this morning - marveling at the magnitude of its truths and remembering the reason for its memorization nearly a quarter century ago.

At the time, I was a freshman in high-school and I was cast as "The Mother Abbess" in our school production of "The Sound of Music". My assumption is that most people reading this are familiar with the musical - but if not - near the end, the von Trapp family executes their plan to escape the Nazi reign in Austria by trekking through the mountains. They perform at a festival and as they leave the stage, they meet The Mother Abbess who sends them off with the wisdom and comfort of Psalm 121:1,"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help" & then breaks forth into the beloved "Climb Ev'ry Mountain". It's quite an inspirational tearjerker.

"The Sound of Music" is one of my all-time favorite musicals. It is a classic and the storyline is as compelling today as it was in 1959. Belting out that finale song at the top of my lungs, with the orchestra swelling and as the choir of voices crescendo to the climactic "TILL YOU FIND YOUR DREAM!" is - honestly - utterly exhilarating! But I wonder whether Rodgers & Hammerstein ever read the remaining seven short verses of Psalm 121.

Take a look:My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip or to be moved; He Who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand [the side not carrying a shield]. The sun shall not smite you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all evil; He will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore. (Amplified)

Wow! Climbing every mountain till I find my dream looses its climactic impact a little when compared to God - Creator of the universe - being my helper, not allowing my feet to slip, never sleeping so He's always protecting me, guarding every area of my life that's not shielded, not allowing the sun or moon to hinder me, keeping me from all evil, making sure I stay alive and watching over me at all times - from now to forever!

I'll always love "The Sound of Music" and would love to reprise the role of "The Mother Abbess" but now I'm wondering how amazing a Rock Opera telling the story of David might be...

No comments:

Post a Comment