Friday, January 29, 2010

Void

What does "void" mean? Websters Online defines it as:

1. not occupied; vacant; not inhabited; deserted 2. containing nothing 3. idle, leisure 4. being without something specified; devoid; having no members or examples 5. vain, useless 6. of no legal force or effect; null

I was recently asked for a voided check and it got me thinking about that word. Then I was reminded of two different places in the Bible that use that word - and how each instance draws incredibly vivid pictures in my mind.

At almost the very beginning of the entire Bible it's used. Genesis 1:2 reads, "The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep." Sounds rather foreboding - creepy even. If you read on, you hear the story of how God created the universe - He spoke. He spoke the stars, the planets, the sun, the moon, the plants, the animals...everything into being. What wasn't there previously, was there after He spoke. Wow!

The second verse it brought to mind is in Isaiah 55:11 where the Word says, "So shall My (God's) word be that goes forth from My mouth, It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it." Basically, it's saying that whatever God says, IS.

You know, I've felt void at times in my life. I've felt vacant, deserted, useless and I have a hunch that maybe you've felt that way before, too. But...What has God said about you? What promises has He spoken over your life that have yet to be accomplished? What dreams, goals, desires has He spoken into your heart that need to come to fulfillment?

Take some time to think about those things. Pull out old journals and read about things He's spoken to you. Read the promises He has spoken over each of His children in His Word. They are all for you. Thank Him for those things He's already brought to pass and remind Him (and yourself) of those things that are yet to come.

At the end of one year and beginning of another, I ask God to give me a word for the year. One word that will encapsulate the year He has in store for me - a word that I can hang onto, look forward to, put faith in, take action toward. Last year, He gave me the word "transition" & boy-oh-boy I did not have a clue as to what that would entail! I lived in 3 different states, changed jobs multiple times, lost a close friend, made new friends...and all that was in only 4 of those 12 months!!

This year the word He's given me is "transformational". And - I'm really excited about what that could look like! :) So, I'm looking over old journal entries, prophetic words from trusted, Godly leaders and friends, praying, asking, and reading the Word - I'm expecting all His words about me to be accomplished - maybe not all this year - but His words do not return void - they accomplish what He sent them forth to accomplish. I know it's gonna be transformational for me - and it can be for you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment