Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Believe!

I've been reading from the Amplified and The Message versions of the Bible lately. This morning, I read Psalm 28 from the Amplified. Verses 7-9 really stood out to me. They read, "The Lord is my strength and my [impenetrable] shield; my heart trusts, relies on and confidently leans on Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song will I praise Him. The Lord is their [unyielding] strength, and He is the stronghold of salvation to [me] His anointed. Save Your people and bless Your heritage; nourish and shepherd them and carry them for ever." That reminded me of Psalm 23:1 that says, "The Lord is my Shepherd [to feed, guide and shield me]; I shall not lack." Wow! These promises are amazing - but do I really live like I believe them?

From there, Abraham and Sarah came to mind. In Romans 4:19-25 (from The Message) we read, "Abraham didn't focus on his own impotence and say, 'It's hopeless. This hundred year old body could never father a child.' Nor did he survey Sarah's decades of infertility and give up. He didn't tiptoe around God's promise asking cautiously skeptical questions. He plunged into the promise and came up strong, ready for God, sure that God would make good on what He had said. That's why it is said, 'Abraham was declared fit before God by trusting God to set him right.' but it's not just Abraham; it's also us! The same thing gets said about us when we embrace and believe the One who brought Jesus to life when the conditions were equally hopeless. The sacrificed Jesus made us fit for God, set us right with God."

God's been teaching me about the word "BELIEVE" for a couple of years now. And I must be a little slow in getting it! :) Weber's online defines it as, "to have a firm religious faith b : to accept as true, genuine, or real". So, I'm asking Him what His promises are for me (and where I've walked in assumption regarding what I thought His promises are for me). He's been taking me to passages about Him being my Shepherd, Shield, Refuge, Provider, etc. He's been reminding me of the desires of my heart and His promise to me to bring them to pass. He's been showing me where I walk in unbelief and I'm repenting.

What promises has God given you that you need to believe? Oh, what supernatural miracles, signs and wonders would follow us if we'd only believe?!

No comments:

Post a Comment